Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Yeah I know..... I'm a freakshow

Ok so.... As I was studying last night for the GRE's I'm taking today, I at one time put down my books and looked around and had a "I miss college and wish I could go back" moment.

.......And now segue into a Sophia Petrillo walk down memory lane moment.......

Picture it, Lewiston Maine, the year 2001. A sophomore from a Maryland suburb had just started his second year at a first rate institution, he had by this time learned what his major was going to be, that he would NOT be going to medical school, and that making out with the one hot gay guy on campus had pretty much exhausted his social life for the rest of his tenure. Now enter Biology 201, this class and the year ahead was meant to weed out those who weren't fit to be biology majors and would make more than one person have to leave school because of a nervous breakdown.
Now at this time dear readers, Dale met who would become his closest group of friends at college, and yes, they were all on the football team. shocking I know. So for at least 5 out of the seven nights a week Dale along with 5 guys each of whom could bench press a volvo, would study Animal Physiology, Molecular Genetics, Cell biology, Evolutionary Biology, Ecology and so on and so forth in this manner. I remember the work being hard but above that I remember enjoying myself so much with these guys that it became secondary. We all did reasonably well or reasonably horribly depending on the exam, but it solidified us as a group. P.S. these would be the guys when I would get drunk, sling me over their shoulder and carry me home and tuck me into bed...... not that I couldn't walk, I just prefer to be carried.
The culmination of this dynamic occurred during a time which is dreaded by every biology major (especially those of us who were sadistic enough to concentrate on Molecular Biology as our chosen concentration) called Cellular and Molecular Biology or Cell Hell. During this period, one took one class for 6 weeks and it was the same as one semester of a class. So we had 4 hours of lecture in the morning and 4 hours of laboratory Monday through Thursday.... yes it was ridiculous. My group would be the only people in the study halls in the academic buildings as everyone else was taking "chinese calligraphy" or "appreciation of poetry" as their classes. We all made it through this class, even if at one point I did develop gastritis and had to call the ambulance cuz all my abdominal muscles had seized up..... but it was ok, I made them drive me everyday to class from the hospital and put me up in a wheelchair in the corner.... LIKE HELL I WAS GOING TO MISS A LECTURE!!!!!!!

In any event, the moral of the story is that now as I sit alone with the Princeton Review and Kaplan surrounding me, I long for days when all nighters and wearing sweatpants 4 days in a row were the norm.... yeah the only reason I'd change out of the sweatpants was to wash them....

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Good luck with the GREs!!!

I tried to make a friend carry me to my car last night because I didn't feel like walking either, but unfortunately, she wasn't as compliant as your friends were.

Mr. Bartender said...

Good luck!!!!

DC said...

Thanks everybody... I have EXORCISED THE DEMONS... hope to see everyone at HH tonight!!

Dop T said...

Aww, I played football in college. If I was still in DC, I would come over, throw you over my shoulder and walk you around the block, just to make you feel better. Best of luck on the tests!!!

DC said...

DOP, aren't you a sweetheart! For some reason whenever I'm around muscley guys I always get lifted.... very odd....