Thursday, August 25, 2005

Goodbye to heaven...hello to possible hell

So with a heavy heart I must say goodbye, to my office. I have for the past year, ever since graduating from college and securing a 9-5er, have had the fortuitous luck of having my own office complete with locking door. I didn't realize how lucky I was until I heard the bemoaning of my fellow corporate lemmings at other companies who have been beaten into submission by the cube farms of 'Office Space' fame. I will miss the following about my glorious albeit tiny office

- The ability to lock my door allowing me to sleep, eat chipotle like a slovenly pig without fear of reprisal, pretend I'm not there so nobody can bother me, make phone calls to all types of people without having to censor my speech

- The ability to give attention to my cuticles, my nails, to properly apply astringent and moisturizer in the morning, and yes, I will admit it, I sometimes have even participated in eyebrow maintenance in the privacy of my office.

- Not having to pretend like I was actually doing work when in actuality I was going over my day planner planning out the different parties I would be attending that weekend. Although Sidenote: I like many of my newly *sorta* employed brethren have mastered the "I'm staring intently at my computer so it looks like I'm doing work when in reality I'm looking to see which of my friends changed their photo's on friendster" look.

-My new office mate is cute, straight (I think), and my age.... so this may not be a bad situation, although I don't think he'll be down for my turning off the office lights so I can take a nap from 9:30-10:00 on the days where I have to be in at 7 for some stupid conference call.....

Oh and another saving grace about my new office, prior to moving I have definitely consulted with the office maintenance guy and had my space set up so that not only can my office mate not see what's on my computer screen, nor can anyone who walks into the office through the door can either.... I'm grasping onto my last modicum of privacy like a fat man with the last rib at sizzler.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yeah, uh, Dale, we are going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday...yeah..oh kay."

Asian Mistress said...

If new cute office mate is straight...send him my way!

Especially if he let's you take a nap.