Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Manners, lost in the modern age.

This morning after avoiding the shoe-less wonders and wading through the mekong bamboo forest that is my co-workers office my co-worker whom we will call C and I were chatting as we do in the mornings before we take our morning naps and before we go to starbucks in order to do the hour and a half of work we pretend take us all day. After chatting about the pro's and con's of naming your sex toy or "bedroom accessory" we started talking about the commute to and from the seventh circle of hell also known as 'work'.

I was bitching about the lack of know-how on the DC metro system. Now I'm a firm FIRM supporter of the DC government spending money to have helpful signs such as "please stand on the right," and "you idiot tourist do NOT stand in front of the metro doors as people are trying to get off" as well as "if you can't figure out the metro card system please stand to the side, I'm hungover and in no mood for your shenanigans." That being said, this morning I would like to applaud the good men and women that made my morning commute the least painful, the metro was cool, the seats were available, and I wasn't faced with any tour groups.....and I'm sorry but 7am and you're taking a tour? there's something unsettling about that.

My co-worker C, who is a sass-nut to the max, was bitching about the lack of the "wave" when letting someone into your lane on the highway. We were discussing a$#holes that do not participate in this system and the very very polite people (of which group I am a part of when I drive to work) that if I let someone into my lane and they wave, I will wave back as a kind of signifying and validating their giving of thanks, I feel it's the best way to go. Now 495 = crapfest,
395= crapfest, GW pkwy = crapfest, why should one compound that terror with the added stress of people being all types of rude. Everyone's trying to get to work, nobody's happy about it, and if you are you're obviously still drunk from the night before and need to pull over, there's no need to be a raging bitch in driving form. The washington area has one of the worst commutes in the country, although compared to say.....london, we'eve got it pretty good. When I was living there the average speed of an automobile within the city was 10 miles an hour and the Tube closed down once due to 1 inch of snow....DC isn't THAT bad.

Take home message is commute = sucktacular. Commute with non-idiot non-rude people = less sucktacular

In other news Chip and I will be on the Delaware shore this weekend, anyone else also traversing?

13 comments:

The Boy said...

I will also be at rehomo.

DC Cookie said...

more sucktacular moments:

- Driving the speed limit in the passing lane
- Slamming brakes on for a beat up old chevy that 'looks' like a cop car but is really just an old couple passing through (didn't you see the Florida license plates?)
- Pretending not to see the elderly or pregnant person on the metro so you don't have to get out of your seat. Is it really 'that' hard for a 20-something man to stand for 2 stops?

DC said...

DC Cookie:
I agree with you fully on all three.. I definitely saw three young girls get up for three elderly women on the metro the other day (I was already standing) and it warmed my heart.

The Boy: did you know that Obie's by the sea on the north side of the Rehomo boardwalk allows you to bring your beer funnel to the bar and will fill it up for you??

DC said...

Whatever... King nothing... if you're not a queen then I'm rambo

The Boy said...

I did not know that. I usually bring my own booze in my flask/cigarette case (yes that's right, it's a two-in-one vice carrier. Pretty sweet.

Maybe I'll see you on Saturday with your beer bong.

DC said...

ha ha ha, yeah I think were gonna rock nalgene style.... it could be water...hmmm ciggarettes...must resist... I think were gonna gay it up saturday poodle beach style, maybe we'll see you out!

DC Cookie said...

Please notice in your statement, the people who stood up (or were standing) are women and gay men. Adult straight men stand up sometimes, but it's the young ones who just stay where they are. GRRRRR!!!!

DC said...

yeah, you'd think their mothers/sisters/gay brothers would have said something to them.....

Asian Mistress said...

I personally feel guilty doing the "wave" when I have blatantly cut someone off. Cause you know they're not like sure thanks, they're like - that f'n bitch cut me off!

Kaycee said...

Chip/Dale,I am going to Solomons for some Jet Skiing...wanna join me? :-)

DC said...

I think that's kind of far from Rehomo where I will be doing no types of fast moving across water...unless a nice and hot gentleman wants to take me on his yacht *bats eyelashes*

Kaycee said...

Oh trust me when I say I do not do fast moves, much more of steady crusing, so as to accentuate the curves and get the wind in my hair...lol...I will keep an eye out for that yacht for you, but I may snag him first...

Lucy said...

Oh yeah, the lack of the acknowledgment waves is a big pet peeve of mine. My feeling is, dude, I was VERY NICE and let you in in front of me. The least you can do is give me a little thank you!